Musical Theatre, again

Tried to apply to be an assistant producer on Broadway today. Of choose, I have an utter lack of experience, but the bigger issue is it was due tonight at midnight. What I didn't notice was it was due at midnight, EST. So. No Macbeth with Alan Cummings for me.

What I have noticed recently, watching Smash, missing auditions by moving, and being terribly jealous of my friends and acquaintances who actually get to do something with performance art. Even when it's not being on stage. I'm terribly jealous of Alli's internship with Laura Little, also producing Musical Theatre.

And even though I couldn't turn it in, I learned two things from that application today. 1) I desperately desire to be involved in Musical Theatre, no matter how much I try to move on and find something more reasonable. 2) I have a natural tendency to facilitate. That is my "leadership" style. I'm good at it. I think producing is very closely aligned with those skills.

And a bonus bit of info I picked up in my research? There is a dearth of young people in arts business. HIV claimed a lot of people in the arts community back in the 80s, and it is still recovering. Less than 8% of the producers on Broadway are under 40. And I see so much talent around me, but no one seems to be able to put things together and make things happen! I want to be that woman.

Comments

Popular Posts