Emergency Depression Kit

I have severe recurrent major depressive disorder. I was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago, but have dealt with these episodes throughout my life since I was a child. They just started getting longer and blending into one another until I never had "normal" feeling times between them and was just chronically depressed for several years. By the time I was sobbing for no reason and staring at the wall for hours I knew I needed to seek professional help.

I have had a few years of therapy, and learned some behavioral skills in the meantime. I'm also on medication, which I was at first opposed to, but it has been a lifesaver. The medication doesn't make the problem 100% go away, but the depression is less oppressive and pervasive, so with effort you can still take care of yourself and get daily tasks done. Unfortunately everyone's body chemistry is different so it takes a lot of trial and error to find something that works for you. Even when you do, sometimes there are issues transferring prescriptions or with insurance coverage or something.

So there are still going to be bad times you struggle to get through. I thought I would share what I keep in my "Emergency Depression Kit," in case it is helpful to anyone else.

- Container: My Little Pony backpack
- Worksheets: Everything is Awful and I'm Not Okay: questions to ask before giving up, Unhelpful Thinking Habits, and Defusing Techniques.
- Physical Activity: small simple puzzle
- Treat: Dark Chocolate Bar
- Positivity: Love note from significant other
- Self-Help Books: "Nonviolent Communication" & "You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?!"
- Religious Support: small Bible

Container: My Little Pony backpack
Pick something that makes you happy. For me, the positivity of My Little Ponies makes me smile and temporarily forget my troubles.

Worksheets: Everything is Awful and I'm Not Okay: questions to ask before giving up, Unhelpful Thinking Habits, and Defusing Techniques.
The "Everything is Awful and I'm Not Okay" worksheet (website printable) helps you do a self-care check and make sure you are taking care of basics that can affect your mood. Very important, typically the first thing I reach for in this kit.
"Unhelpful Thinking Habits" (website printable) helps you identify what negative thought patterns you're stuck in.
"Defusing Techniques" (website printable) gives you alternative ways of thinking about the situation to calm down.

Physical Activity: small simple puzzle
Sometimes you just need to interrupt your circular thinking and gives your hands and brain something else to focus on. I also know people who knit as a physical coping skill.

Treat: Dark Chocolate Bar
Somedays it seems nothing goes your way and you just need a pick-me up, so store a favorite treat and save it for a bad day. Depression can distract you from taking care of yourself, so giving yourself a treat counteracts that a little, because you deserve to treat yourself special sometimes.

Positivity: Love note from significant other
Really this could be anything, but preferably a written statement of support from a friend, family, loved one, whatever. Depression tells you negative things about yourself. This is your reality check.

Self-Help Books: "Nonviolent Communication" & "You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?!"
These are just the books I am using at the moment - neither is specifically related to depression, "You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?!" is about ADD, and everyone can benefit from nonviolent communication techniques. I have also used "Boundaries" and "Mindfulness" in my kit at other times. Mindfulness meditation has been proven beneficial in a multitude of mental health disorders! The point is, find something relevant that speaks to you personally, but don't go overboard. 1 or 2 books is plenty.

Religious Support: small Bible
If you are an atheist or agnostic feel free to leave this one out, but for everyone else, religion is an important part of your mental health that you can't afford to ignore.


Hopefully that is helpful and gives you a guide of the types of things you may want to put in your own emergency kit! If you suffer from thoughts of self-harm, you may also want to put a hotline number (1-800-273-8255) in there too.

And if you really love paperwork (like me), check out the antidepressant skills workbook, available for free online as a website or printable pdf. I highly recommend at least starting with the "reactivating your life" section.

Comments

Popular Posts